Sunday, August 2, 2009

TWO DAYS at ALLENTOWN DCI SHOW











Just returned from 2 day Allentown DCI show. Got a chance to meet the great David Hill from fieldandfloor.com. All the corps were excellent, I can't see much difference in the top corps. Here are some odds and ends. Allentown has a fantastic set-upset, park like practice areas and nice size competition stadium. As close to drum corps heaven as you can get. On day one I enjoyed the Mandarin show very much, solid hornline and nice flo to the sho. The Academy Color Guard was magical with large yellow handkerchiefs, (I'm sure there is a name for them)that briefly hung in the air. Carolina blue is very popular with the guards. The Bluecoats show was unusual and very entertaining. (Splane Rucy). My nephew Kevin is a huge Cavalier fan and likes their intricate drill style. The Cadets have stepped up their game, big time, from earlier in the year and seem to relish the unacustomed dark horse role. They are en fuego. Oh yeh, the Blue Devils were solid as always. Day two - Again Crossmen capes rule, bonus points for running off the field with capes flapping - It worked for me. Crusaders color guard, nuff said. Santa Clara was constant movement and received a standing Ovation halfway through fast paced drill. Carolina Crown show was my favorite of the two days. What a sound. Lots of up downs on the field. The Crown show builds beautifully. I am a huge sports fan and new to Drum Corps but I see many similarites.

It's on to Indy next week.






No comments: